Boasting an exciting range of rich, natural hair colours, Water Colour has been our best-selling hair colour for over ten years now.
Its gentle formula is free from PPD, Ammonia and Henna. What's more, Water Colour hair dye contains no active bleaching agents and is both cruelty free and vegan.
It's so easy to use - simply add water, shake and apply.
Not right for you? See our full range of gentle hair dyes
Because Water Colour Hair Dye is free from harsh chemicals it won't lighten your hair. It is ideal for grey coverage or for darkening light hair. The colour samples below are the approximate shade when applied to white hair.
Water Colour hair colour was developed to be kind to the hair and produce natural looking hair colour, capable of up to 100% grey coverage yet without the use of damaging chemicals. It helps you achieve a beautiful natural hair colour without ammonia, alcohol, resorcinol, perfume, bleaching agents or p-Phenylenediamine (PPD).
Usage Instructions are included with your order, and explain how to use Water Colour hair dye to achieve your choice of permanence - from semi-permanent right through to a quasi-permanent colour, lasting up to 28 washes.
One mixer bottle is included with each order, but this can be re-used. Choose to re-use your old bottle, and you'll save 50p on your order. We also include plastic hats and gloves, which you can opt out of after checkout if you have your own reusable ones.
Please note - the Ash shades: 9/1, 8/1, 7/1, 6/1 and 5/1 - are great for reducing 'brassy' tones in hair; they will help to tone down coppers, reds or golds. They give a more subtle coverage over grey than any of the other shades, so if your hair is quite resistant to hair dye they may not be suitable.
1. Take a tiny pinch of Water Colour hair dye powder from the vial and mix it with a drop of warm water on a saucer. Reseal the vial immediately. Do not allow the remaining powder to get wet.
2. Wash a small area of skin inside your elbow and dry gently but thoroughly. Apply a drop of the Water Colour mixture to the area with a cotton bud and allow to dry. Do not wash off for AT LEAST 48 hours (Please be aware that in some cases the skin sensitivity/allergy test can take longer to react – up to a week for some people).
3. If during this period you experience any irritation, redness, swelling or burning, wash off immediately. It is likely you are allergic to an ingredient in this product and should not use it.
Simply add warm water, shake and apply.
Water Colour natural hair colours can be used as a Semi, Demi, or Permanent hair colour by adjusting your application of the hair colour (shown below).
Full instructions are included with every order, or you can click here to download the instruction leaflet.
1. Wearing the gloves provided, apply the Water Colour mousse to the roots of your hair at approximately 1.5cm intervals to the root area only.
2. Pile your hair on top of your head and put on the cap, securing it to prevent any dripping.
3. Stay in a warm environment ensuring the solution does not dry out under the cap.
4. Follow the timing table for the colour depth you require.
5. If the colour on the rest of your hair has faded and needs refreshing, reserve the remaining Water Colour mousse for the ends. 10 minutes before the end of the colouring process remove the cap and quickly distribute the remainder of the foam evenly through your hair, massaging it to the ends ensuring it is covered evenly. Replace the cap over your hair.
6. Rinse the colour from your hair until the water runs clear. Shampoo your hair using your usual shampoo and rinse thoroughly again. Apply your usual conditioner and leave in for at least one minute to restore the pH balance; rinse and style as normal.
We cannot give you an exact answer as this will always depend on how long or thick you hair is.
If your hair is of average thickness and about shoulder length, you will usually need 1 vial of Water Colour. For longer or thicker hair you may need 2 or even 3 vials.
If you are applying to your roots only you may get 1 or 2 applications.
Tip: For the most efficient and economical way to apply - squeeze the required amount of Water Colour hair colour into a non-metallic bowl and apply with a hairdressers tint brush, this will help with application and make the colour go further.
You may be interested in our Hair Colouring Accessories.
Water Colour can be used as a Semi, Demi or Quasi-Permanent
The above is a guide only – the results may be affected by the condition of your hair and any previous treatments.
Each shade of Water Colour hair dye is made from the same blend of active powder base with different proportions of pigment to formulate each individual shade. The following ingredients form the base of all shades: Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate, Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcostinate, Silica, Sodium Silicate, Sodium Sulphate, Xanthan Gum.
The nine ingredients for the dye pigments are: p-toluene diamine sulphate – PTDS, m-amino phenol sulphate, 2.4 diaminophenoxyethanol hcl, p-aminophenol sulphate, 4-amino 2 hydroxytoluene sulphate, 4-amino -m-creosol, 2-amino 6-chloro -4-nitrophenol, 2-methyl-5-hydroxyethylaminophenol, 4.5 diamino-1-(2-hydroxyethyl) pyrazole sulphate.
Click here for a more detailed look at the ingredients in Water Colour
Your order will include one pair of polythene gloves and one polythene hat per colour and ONE reusable applicator bottle and nozzle per order. If you wish to add extra applicator bottles they can be found at the bottom of the Water Colour shade chart for £0.50 each.
Our applicator bottles can easily be rinsed and re-used for many years, so if you already have one and don’t require a new one, you can remove it from your order under 'Eco Options' at the checkout (and get 50p off!)